Spotlight: Sr. Bernardette Azuela
The headwaters of the San Antonio start their journey on the Congregation’s property. In 2008, the Sisters set aside 53 acres of congregation land from their original property purchased in 1897 and created the Headwaters Coalition, a ministry dedicated to Earth care and to living in right relationship with God’s creation.
Anticipating Pope Francis’ call to stewardship of the Earth in his Laudate Si, this ministry reminds us that ecology, peace, and justice are inseparable and that we must live in right relationship with all of creation.
Gardening, 19th Century
In the 19th and early 20th centuries, Sisters grew vegetables and had milk cows.
The barn located at the Motherhouse was the center for farming activity carried on through the 1950s. In 1991, the structure was restored for use as the Center for Spirituality and the Arts.
Sisters grow their own food even in the city. This urban garden at Incarnate Word Neighborhood House in St. Louis, Missouri, was planted and tended by a community of Sisters.
Sr. Margaret McCormack
In retirement, Sr. Margaret McCormack planted and maintained a flower garden at the Village at Incarnate Word. It lives on after her death, carefully tended by others, as a celebration of God’s gift of creation.