Sr. Rita Prendergast
Sister Rita Prendergast (b. 1931)—a poet, professor, and missionary—was schooled to be an English professor, which she was at Incarnate Word College, and at the Incarnate Word School in Dunmore, Ireland. Throughout her life she has written poetry; her book Gleaning was published in 2016.
Sr. Germaine Corbin
Sister Germaine (b. 1935) has served the Congregation as teacher of theater and drama, and as an administrator of Incarnate College and University. In 1996 she founded the “Extended Run Players,” a reader’s theater that performs at the University and elsewhere.
Sr. Germaine is pictured at the far right, directing a production of the Players.
Spotlight: Sr. Maria Goretti Zehr
Sr. Patricia O’Donnell
Sister Patricia O’Donnell (1924–1988) was an accomplished opera singer. She taught at Incarnate Word College (now University) for many years and also served as Chair of the Music Department.
Fr. Albert Lohmann
Fr. Albert Lohmann (1879 – 1954) spent 47 years on the campus of Incarnate Word College as composer, organist, and teacher. He is remembered by the Congregation through his many beautiful liturgical compositions. Fr. Lohmann also taught music in the Convent, was organist for the Congregation, and prepared the choirs of Sisters for the singing of liturgies in the Chapel of the Incarnate Word.
Spotlight: Sr. Mary Elizabeth Joyce
Sr. Bernarda Goedtken
Sister Bernarda Goedtken (1908–1982) studied at the American Conservatory of Music, Chicago and taught music theory at the College (University). Sr. is holding a music manuscript book in her hands.
Sisters teachers at IW College
Pictured, left to right, are Sisters Mary Hanick (Agnesine), Mary of the Incarnate Word Avellis, Maria Goretti Zehr, and Dolores Marie Murphy. Not only did the Sisters teach in the music department, they also taught a full studio of young elementary age students in a pedagogy program.
Spotlight: Sr. María del Socorro Lazo
Sisters’ Choir, 1969
Music and singing was part of formation when young women entered the congregation. Novices formed the choir for liturgies.
Pictured here is the Sisters’ Choir, at the Centennial Mass in the Chapel of the Incarnate Word.
Sr. Adelaide Widemann
Sister Adelaide Widemann (1904–2003) was responsible for many years for the musical training of the Sisters, and preparing the choir for liturgies. “[Sr. Adelaide] assessed our voices individually, placed us in particular sections of the choir, and patiently practiced each piece of the liturgical music until we were all on key, in perfect rhythm, and confident.”
Spotlight: Sr. Rosa María Montiel
Sisters making music
Sisters performing in ensemble, Palestrina Recital Hall, Music Building, early 1970s.
The Sisters’ Choir still comes together to sing for special liturgies. Pictured here is the choir singing for a Jubilee in 2015, in the Chapel of the Incarnate Word.
Spotlight: Sr. Avelina Nava
Organ, Chapel of the Incarnate Word
In 2007, as part of the renovation of the Chapel of the Incarnate Word, a new 27-rank Schoenstein pipe organ was installed, signifying the primacy of place that music holds in the Congregation’s communal worship.
Dedication of the new Fine Arts Facility
In 2015, The University of the Incarnate Word carried forward the Congregation’s commitment to music and arts when it dedicated the new 15 million dollar arts complex.
Pictured left to right is General Coordinator of the Congregation, Sister Teresa Maya, Col. and Mrs. Betty Kelso, benefactors, and Dr. Louis Agnese, President of the University.
Part of the new fine arts complex is the newly renovated auditorium, now concert hall.
Kelso Art Gallery
The new fine arts complex holds art galleries for permanent and rotating exhibits, as well as state of the art classrooms dedicated to all of the disciplines.